Friday, June 13, 2003

It's that elbow again

Well, yet again it seems I have not yet mastered riding a bike... We arrived in Darlington last night on time (I think the first time ever on our journeys up here!) and prepared for our first longish ride with the bikes fully loaded.

Bloody hell, there's definitely stability issues involved here. The ride from our house to Harrow and Wealdstone station wasn't too bad (it is only about half a mile to be fair) and the train journey into London Euston also ran quite smoothly (apart from the morons who obviously thought it was more important that they get on the train before I get off with my (do I need to repeat this?) fully loaded bike). From there, it was a short ride to King's Cross, but not wanting to risk London peak hour traffic with our unstable bikes, ended up pushing them the kilometre or so to King's Cross. Train journey passed without incident and we arrived at Darlington at 22:30. Here we go. A couple of roundabouts and a few cheeky calls from cars with boozed up occupants (England vs Slovakia for the European Football Championships had been on just down the road at the Riverside after all) of "Can I get a lift?" and, most charmingly, "Get a car". I would've liked to have stopped the occupant of the Ford Focus and asked them how much they earnt last year and compared it with my salary. I'm not saying that salary is an indicator of standing in society, but these people obviously think a car gives them some kind of status and I would've like to seen how that other indicator of status (according to society) racked up against each other. I would've also liked to explain that I can afford a car, but I choose not to drive. Cycling is fun - driving a car isn't. It is as simple as that. I don't expect everyone to get out of their cars, but I would like a bit of respect for at least trying something different - I know I'm dreaming! Anyway, rant over.

We had a slight downhill after the roundabouts and I changed through the gears and was able to get a decent speed going. We then got to some lights and I was unable to change back to a decent taking off speed. Result. I can't get any speed up on the slight uphill after the lights change to green and fall over on the pavement landing smack bang on the already swollen and bruised left elbow. The familiar agony started again and I'm ready to call the whole thing off. Who's bloody idea was this anyway? I know, half mine, but I'm sure everyone has had one of those moments where you can just have enough - and we hadn't even started. Anyway, I pushed the bike to HiG's, had a cup of tea and iced the elbow. Huge lump coming out on it now as well as a lot of bruising. Felt better and am now determined to thin out everything in the panniers to make this riding to Australia thing a bit easier. I didn't say easy. Easier. Than what, I don't know....